Requirements for being a Successful Realtor
1. Be Honest – Honesty is the key! When it comes to an important decision like purchasing a home, the client should know everything there is to know about the house. How would you feel if you realtor lied to you just to make a commission?
2. Dress for success – We are professionals and we should act like that at all times. Have you ever been in a multi-billon dollar company and the CEO is wearing shorts? No! Whether you going to the office just to drop something off or attending a closing with your client. You should always dress for success. You never know who is watching you or whom you will run into.
3. Listen– Being a Realtor means you and working for the clients. So in order to satisfy your client you will have to listen to their needs/wants. There is nothing more upsetting than having someone trying to tell me what I want/need. If the clients ask for a suggestion or your opinion then it’s ok to give them your professional opinion. We are here to please the client.
4. Time is of the Essence- Every second in real estate counts. You need to be available to your clients 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Your family needs to understand that you work off of commissions. So when you clients call you must be able to stop what you are doing and tend to his/her needs.
5. Keep a clean vehicle– people can tell a lot about you by the way you keep your vehicle. Would you like to ride with someone who has a junky vehicle? Your vehicle is your office away from your office. You never know when a client will call and ask you to show them properties.
6. Be knowledgeable– you have to study and do research for the areas you would like to specialize in. How is the economy? What is there to do for kids? What are the tops schools and why? Is it a diverse area? You have to show the client that you are serious about your job.
7. Self driven– Again you don’t not have a steady paycheck. So what you put in to your business is what you get out. Realtors can basically make their own schedule. So you have to have that drive a determination to get up early and go to the office even though you really don’t have to. You have to go after what you want; you cannot sit around and wait for someone to give you anything. You may work for a broker but it is your job to go out and market yourself. Clients want to work with someone they can trust to get the job done.
Written by: Julius Bertrand